Friday, May 20, 2011

What happens in the library when closed during semester break?

I get asked this question often by students and faculty about what do I find to do while the library is closed during semester breaks so I thought I would share with you typical activities.  This break we got the group study rooms painted, the library cleaned from stem to stern including carpet shampooing and a strong clean up in the computer labs which is hard to access while the students are here. Housekeeping has also wiped down all of the tables and chairs and grounds crew is coming to work and clean out our flower beds.  I and the staff have been busily 'shelf-reading' which means they ensure we have all books accounted for and filed in LC classification order so you can easily find the books you need. We then move the bookstacks around to handle all the new books coming in -- and we have alot of new books!  I have created a display of book covers on our bulletin board as well as a binder that will be at the reference desk for you to see what new titles are here and by discipline whether marketing, management, small business, finance, accounting or economics.  We work with Main Library to take the older serials (journals and magazines) and bind them to be shelved at Main.  This frees up our space for new serials and the campus at large has access to the business material. It is also a time for me to develop course instruction on how to use the library for particular courses and in general.  I develop podcasts and course guides that are available to all.  Finally, I turn my attention to operations and ensure we have staffing for the summer and the student workers are trained and I develop marketing materials such as bookmarks and new pencils that advertise this blog.  I look forward to your return to school on May 31st and we WILL be ready for you!